Monday 4 April 2016

OUGD501 - Practical Research - Limited Edition Packaging

After deciding on my final idea for the practical work for my CoP I tried to look for some interesting designs that show off logo designs.

I found this very interesting project on Behance were he experimented with how far he could expand a logo before it becomes unrecognisable. I found this fascinating because it tests our recollection of these logos to the extreme by seeing how little of the logo we actually need for it to become recognisable.  
https://www.behance.net/gallery/6546453/BIG-BRAND-THEORY-Experimental-Packaging-Design
The effectiveness of these cans is surprising considering that all that has been done is to crop the logo closer than you would expect. The effect makes the cans look really clean and contemporary, removing all information on the can but the logo. 

I also really liked how he has rated the cropability of each of the logos. It just goes to prove that if a logo or brand is advertised enough for it to be common within our society then people will be able to recognise it down to the shapes and colours it creates. 


I also had a look for more hand-drawn packaging designs as I was compiling peoples versions of logos from memory. So I thought I would find some inspiration to see how hand drawn type works on packaging.



I found that the simpler the packaging is in terms of layout and colour scheme the more effective it looks. Like in this example where they have simply filled the cup with the text, just in a monochrome colour scheme, compliments the hand-drawn elements. It feels like someone could have just sat and doodled it all on the cup making it feel a lot more personal to the consumer. I think this sort of style to the packaging would be really effective on my design due to the differences in typography, compiling them together would give subtle contrasts. 


I find these bottle wrap designs particularly inspiring. They have a wraparound design that tells the story of Johnnie Walker's journey from Scotland to China. Once again like the cups it feels as though someone got a biro and doodled onto the bottles but I really like this effect. I like how the bottles are completely one colour, masking what is inside kind of making you curious to see what it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment