Monday 30 November 2015

OUGD501 - Study Task 6 - Primary Research

In this session we learnt about different methods to collect some primary research and their respective pros and cons. For the task we were asked to consider whether any primary research methods could be used for our essays. First, I need to think about what I want to find out for the essay. 

One of the main things that interests me is how logo exposure affects peoples views on them. The more exposure a logo has the less it is visually read, and it just becomes a familiar icon. I want to see if people can analyse a logo and see if saturation makes something appear timeless. 

I had already thought about doing some primary research, especially for my design piece. I was thinking of compiling a portfolio of classic logo designs vs their modernist equivalents to compare and contrast what timelessness actually means. For the actual essay itself I could show logos in a survey and see what makes the classic logos appeal to people. I would avoid asking designers because I feel like they would have some bias towards some of the logo designs. However I am not sure whether using primary research for the essay would be necessary. I feel it would confuse the argument about modernism vs saturation. 


After consulting with Simon he said that I should look at what kind of visual cultures would describe a particular era e.g. That 70s show with the bubble serif font. Would people notice this and be able to place it in a time period? I find this quite interesting and I may try it for the design work to see if I can create a logo that couldn't be placed on a timeline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment