Saturday 4 April 2015

OUGD401 - Practical Research Project - Luxury Chocolate Research


I like how this design is dominated by black a part from  the label where all the information is. Gold and pink accents have been used really effectively to lift out of the dark black and add more sophistication to the packaging. There is also subtle spot varnishing on the bottom of the packaging, although it is so subtle that I feel that it is not needed. The layout of the label itself is laid out in a really nice way - I feel that the hierarchy of the type is just right and the use of a simple illustration lifts it all. I feel like most of the sophistication of this packaging however comes from the typographic treatment. This shows that you can create a packaging that looks very expensive and glamorous for not much cost at all.

This very modern take on chocolate packaging combines pastel shades with contemporary geometric patterns to create a very sophisticated look. I like the use of blocks of black or white to frame the important information making the patterns do all the ornamentation. This particular brand was inspired by Japanese designs and was itself meant to be a japanese brand. From all of the designs that I have chosen to analyse black has been a dominant colour. I feel this is because black connotes sophistication, dominance, power and authority which creates an overall feeling of quality and stability. 


I started by looking at more expensive or luxury brands of chocolate. I found this brand Marou which uses metallic gold inks and contrasts it would blacks to give a very expensive look. It feels very exotic with Chinese styled illustrations and bright patterned background.  I think that there has been some embossing employed within the illustration on the packaging and techniques such as this will definitely make a product look more elegant and therefore better quality. I do really like the contrast between the black and gold within this packaging and I think that limiting the colour scheme makes a product seem more sophisticated which I feel this product lacks slightly.





No comments:

Post a Comment